Fatty ribs can be a real challenge. When You succeed, it is so d*d good! You want them so tender they almost fall apart like pulled pork, but yet not.
This recipe is pure Jack Daniels through and through, both brine and smoke chips/chunks. It may be both wise and quite enjoyable to pour some JD into the cook to, cause it´s gonna take a while cooking…
- 1 slab of thick ribs
- Jack Daniels smoke chips or chunks
For the brine:
- 3 dl Jack Daniels
- 3 dl water
- 1 dl brown sugar
- 1 dl coarse uniodized salt
- A couple of dried whole chillies/1 tbsp chilipowder/flakes
- Some Ice cubes
For the rub:
- 3 dl paprikapowder
- 1 dl celery salt
- 1 dl muscovadosugar
- 2 tbsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp mustard powder
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tsp white pepper, finely ground
- 2 tbsp really hot chilli powder
- Mix water, salt and sugar for the brine, warm gently so sugar dissolves
- Add rest of ingredients for brine, finish with ice cubes to cool it down
- The ribs can now be soaked in brine, when cool. Important to cover the whole piece of meat with brine.
- Let soak in brine for at least 24 hrs, preferably longer.
- Mix all ingredients for rub.
- Take meat out of brine and rinse in cold water for an hour
- Whipe dry, then rub
- Prepare grill or smoker for really Low&Slow cooking, i.e. 100-125 degr C.
- Place ribs on grill, then add smoke chips
- Smoke for 2 hours
- When ribs reach 85 degr C – take them off, let rest in foil.
- Slice and serve