Hog of ham/pork shank is an underrated piece of meat! Cooked properly it may be the best little piggie you´ve ever had. Also often available at low price.
In Germany, Sweinehaxe is quite a common dish, but there the meat is precooked. This here recipe is made from scratch without boiling. Hence, you´ll want very low temperature.
The description is for rotisserie. If you don´t have one, it works fine to grill as usual.
- 1 good piece of hog/pork shank
- your favourite rub
- 2,5 dl Brown sugar
- 3/4 dl apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp mustardpowder
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- Pecan smoke chunks or chips
- Soak smoke chips ca 1 h before you start the grill
- Cut the rind all way round
- Rub properly, make sure the rub reaches down in the cuts
- Now mount the pork evenly on spear of rotisserie
- Grill indirectly – low heat approx 100 degr C
- Mix the rest of ingredients and mop meat at the end for nice crust and surface.
- Grill for approx 4 hrs or till meat reaches 85 degr C
When in Germany, this is typically served with boiled potatoes, horse radish and sauerkraut.
This BBQ version goes well with wedged taters, or french fries, some nice sauce and a salad.