Ever tried Turkey on the grill?
By letting it be kissed by smoke You get a marvellous result!
This way it will be juicy, moist and packed with smokey flavours.
Word of warning, though – You might have to cook this for friends and family ever after!
- 1 Turkey
- Fresh Thyme
- Fresh Rosemary
- 2 Apples
- Salt & pepper
- Olive or canola oil
- Lemon zest
- Smoke chunks – apple is real nice with Turkey, chunks last longer than chips
For the Brine – You might have to double the amount depending on size of bird:
- 3 cans of beer (33 cl)
- 1 l water
- 1,5 dl salt
- 1,5 dl brown sugar
- 10 whole pepper corns
- 1-2 dried chilifruits /or powder
- Couple of twigs of Thyme
- Marinade for injecting:
- 1 can of beer
- 100 gr butter
- Mix everything for the brine, let cool
- Let bird rest in brine for at least 24h
- Take bird up and rinse in cold water
- If You let bird brine for longer than 24 h, You might want to let it rinse good – let sit in cold water for a coule of hours – change the rinse every hour
- Dry the bird
- Butter should be of room temperature
- Chop rosemary and thyme finely
- Mix with lemon zest and the butter
- Apply butter inside skin on the breast of bird – easy if you loosen the skin a bit
- For the stuffing: cut the apples in pieces and mix w twigs of herbs
- Brush skin w oil, season Pensla skinnet med olja och salta och peppra.
- Prepare grill for Low & Slow, indirect heat approx 100 Degr C
- Add smoke chunks and then mount the Turkey, breast upwards
- A dripping pan under the bird is good for gathering the fat and jus, makes a good base for sauce later!
- After half the time, melt butter and mix with beer – for injecting the breast fillets
- Continue smoking till 70 degr C in breast
- Serve in your traditional way or of other choice
- We like it with red cabbage, potatoes, jam/jelly and gravy